Gardenuity is open for business right here in the Design District of Dallas. And that is great news for me, a notorious plant killer. I mean, not even succulents can live with me. But thanks to the way Gardenuity is revolutionizing the plant growing industry, I feel confident that the vegetables I planted this weekend will live a full, healthy life 🙂
So what’s the deal?
Gardenuity teaches you exactly how to plant, grow, and care for your plants. You order your plants or herbs through their site, and they cater the caring instructions to where you live, sending you updates whenever you need to tend to your plants. Is it cold in your zip code one day? They’ll tell you to bring your plants in. Are they getting thirsty? They’ll tell you when it’s time to water!
Living in an apartment, planting seems out of the question. But with the grow boxes that Gardenuity has, you just need enough space for the box. So not only is it feasible, but it’s actually the perfect option for those of us who are doing apartment living.
I got my lettuce from the Gardenuity’s Design District grand opening. Read on!
The Grand Opening
Check out this fun space that Gardenuity has created! They introduced their Design District space last Tuesday, welcoming Dallasites with fun plant-inspired cocktails, foods, mingling, and a chance to learn more from the founders.
The food was incredible. Filled with fresh herbs and spices- even something as simple as popcorn becomes gourmet when you add rosemary to it 🙂 It definitely inspired my desire to have fresh herbs around- there’s just something so much taster when you use fresh, not dried, herbs.
They also have a separate line where they sell the most delicious smelling soy candles and other goods.
After getting to know Julie, one of the co-founders, we learned all about the Gardenuity goals and visions for the future. They’ve got both herb and plant gardens, and a ton of variety.
We were especially delighted when we were gifted a set of our own with three lettuce varieties and a grow box 🙂
The grow box
I promise it’s super easy to put together. It took me about fifteen minutes, by myself, with no additional tools.
Everything you need comes right in the boxes.
Once you’ve assembled the box, the next step is to plant your food!
Planting your food
This was the fun part. I followed the instructions step-by-step, and easily put my grow bag together.
Here are simplified steps so that you can see the overall process- and see that it’s easy enough for you to do too 🙂
1. Open the two coir bags and add 3 quarts of water to each, with time in between each quart, breaking up the coir to form the soil.
2. Once they have absorbed all of the water (20 minutes), you can add them to your grow bag.
3. Make your third bag of soil using one of the empty bags you now have. Add the compost they provide and mix it in to form the top soil.
4. After putting 3/4 of the topsoil mixture into your grow bag, put the three plant food capsules in a triangle about 3 inches deep.
5. It’s planting time! Give your lettuce a good soak.
6. Dig a hole the size of the root ball and place your lettuce into the soil.
7. Repeat for all of your lettuce, spacing them evenly apart.
8. Add the remaining topsoil around the lettuce you’ve planted. Sprinkle a fourth of the plant food mixture that’s provided and give it a good watering.
9. Voila! You’re done!
So it’s that easy.
Now it’s your turn! You can see all that Gardenuity has to offer here. It’s time to get your hands a bit dirty 🙂