Sailing is a sport that I have always known very little about. But I love being on the water (who doesn’t??), and I love boats, so I jumped at the opportunity to learn to sail. I found Sail Dallas through Groupon, and after reviewing their website, it sounded promising!
Good news- it was exactly as advertised! You get a two hour introduction to sailing lesson on Lake Lewisville, about 35 minutes outside of Dallas. And you can get as much or as little out of the class as you want.
We did a bit of both and spent half of our time learning, and the other half relaxing on the boat. Although if I’m honest with myself, much more than half of the time was spent relaxing 😉
Learn or relax- it is completely up to you! Here’s what you can expect on a sailing adventure with Sail Dallas.
What to expect
The course starts off with a classroom portion. I know, I know, you came to be out on the water. Don’t worry, it’s only a short ten minutes in the classroom 🙂
The classroom is located on the second floor of Sail Dallas, which is the white two-story building you see in this photo.
After the short classroom time, you’ll head down to the pier.
From the pier, Mike will lead you to the sail boat. We were in a group with six other people.
On the boat, he’ll have you untie ropes, pull on some, etc. to give you some hands on learning.
Oh, and he’ll also let you steer 🙂
As I mentioned earlier, you can learn as much or as little as you want. After learning the ropes a bit (pun intended), we decided to do some relaxing.
What to bring
- Your groupon
- Yes kids are allowed, but you should definitely contact Mike before purchasing to confirm that he has enough life jackets.
- Your significant other
- Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses
- Cash to tip your skipper
- You don’t need to bring snacks since it’s only two hours and there’s not a whole lot of room to eat. But there is a restaurant at the pier if you get hungry afterwards!
What to wear
- Flat shoes- especially if you plan to walk around the boat
- Hat & sunglasses & sunscreen- because there’s no shade out on the lake
- Life jackets are optional if you’re older than 18, but if you want to wear one, he has them stocked up
So how ’bout it? Want to do a bit of sailing? You can get your tickets from Groupon here!